Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Day 31: Naturally

This morning I woke up relatively early for my Dr. appointment.  Now this is not your typical wait 1000 hours to see a clinician, but rather I went to see a naturopathic doctor at the Centre for Natural Medicine.  The whole reason I had started this healthy eating situation was because I didn't want to wait until my original appointment date in November to "get healthy."


Since this was my first visit, it was more of a consultation for the doctor to find out what troubles me and what I think is going on.  There is a lot of communication (which is the best part!) instead of the eye rolls that one gets when talking about a self diagnosis.  Dr. Korsunsky allowed me to swear occasionally as I talked energetically about my woman problems and the fact that I am pretty sure I have PCOS (Polycyistic Ovarian Syndrome)  I advised her of my symptoms that I have been dealing with FOREVER, and even when I had lost a lot of weight when I was in Korea, my problems did not cease.  
Definitely one of the best things that came out of our conversation was the fact that women who deal with PCOS standardly do have a harder time losing weight as a result of the hormone imbalance in the body.  She advised me to pick up a book in regards to this (because I love learning about these things) so once I understand what is happening, I will be more apt to do the things that are required to maintain a stable hormone level without popping pills.

Now, again, because this was the first visit there is a lot of testing that has to happen to fully determine that what I have IS in fact PCOS or just similar hormone issues.  Therefore, I was sent home with a variety of fun things: A glucometer to test my blood sugars (if HAVING diabetes isn't enough of a scare to make you eat healthy, pricking yourself with a needle after every meal certainly is!).  I am actually excited about this, because I wanted to use it as a science experiment, showing the results of my blood sugars of eating pure carbohydratey goodness alone compared to paring carbs and protein together.  Apparently the test only takes one day, but I do have it for a week, so let the science experiments ensue!  In addition to that, I have 2 lab tests I have to send to the US testing my saliva for female hormones (done over the span of 30 days, tracking a full "woman" cycle) and the second to test my male hormones to see where they are coming from.  In addition to that, the fact that I have been eating so much sugar for so long there is believed to be copious amounts of bacteria feasting off those delicious undigestable things in my belly, so I have some candicin to take for a few days and a detox tea which tastes like licorice! (yummy!)

If all that isn't enough, I also have to go back for a body composition test and some other hormone test thing.   All in all, I think myself and the doc are on the same page which makes me feel good.  However, she did say that I am to pretty much cut out all starches because PCOS victims have a hard time breaking down the sugars yadayadayada.  Therefore I am to immediately cease any consumption of breads, potatoes, rice, etc. and keep my protein high.  When I advised her of my last 30 days, she said to keep following that ideal and don't expect huge results, but expect lasting results.  Go me!
As for the glucometer, all I can say is that Ryan will be the one poking me with the needle because I couldn't even do it in the dr's office today.  In addition to that, I am REQUIRED to exercise once a day...more than just a walk.  Dammit. Hahahaha! We shall start that slowly.
I am excited to see what comes out of this from primarily a scientific standpoint, but also for my health of course. I mean, if I don't have to drug myself with 5 extra strength advil per day for 1 week every month or worry about facial hair sprouting off my face...that would be stellar :P

Date: September 17, 2013!
Current weight: 240
Goal for the day:  walking
What is your plan for food today?
Breakfast: coconut yogurt
Lunch: eggs with cheese and elk peppettes
Snack: almonds
Supper: turkey meatballs with fresh basil and grilled veggies!
Planned water intake: 108 oz (5 water bottles full)




No comments:

Post a Comment