Friday, January 10, 2014

So, Tonight I Went to the Barre

I am currently sitting in the Maxwell Hotel in Seattle, WA and to be honest, I am surprised that my fingers are capable of typing at the moment.  I just finished a crazy intensive session at Pure Barre, a local fitness studio here in Seattle (Let me tell you, there was nothing pure about the thoughts that were going through my mind as I felt muscles that I didn't even know existed....)


So, first off, I have walked by this studio 3 times before going in to check it out.  To be honest, originally I thought it was ballet conditioning due to the name, however, when I went in a spoke to the lovely young lady at the desk, I soon found out that I was mistaken and that it was a conditioning style workout.  So, I signed up for the free drop in class to see what it was about.  

They were not joking.  It hurts to sit up at this moment.  I hate to see what tomorrow will bring.
So, I have to admit I was greatly humbled when I walked in and saw that they set out 2lb and 3lb weights for me, and I thought to myself "ppphhhht, I can lift heavier than this..." Within 2 minutes of just the warm up, I thought my biceps had literally separated from my arm.  Essentially the workout never stopped, taking us working minor muscles with small movements that hurt like hell.  Seriously, normally I NEVER sweat during workouts, but by the end of this one I was drenched. 
We started the session off in the middle of the room, using the ball and weights to tense and pulse our muscles continually, then we moved to the barre where we would lift our legs off the floor and keep one lifted at a time, for what was probably 1 or 2 minutes (but felt like forever) and bent it, straightened it, pulsed it, and tucked it.  It hurt like a bitch.  Pardon my language...but it did.

The 2 ladies that worked at the studio tonight were both extremely helpful (and forgiving for my lack of grace and skill) and definitely kept everyone motivated to keep going, reminding us that the poses were not to be held forever, so go hard while you could.  As you can see in the picture above, we use a variety of exercise tools: the ball, the weights, and a variety of resistance bands, but the main exercise tool we use....is our bodies.  Our core (which you will soon discover whether or not you actually have one.) 

Anyhow, considering that I have been sitting down every day for the last 2 days for my amazing CreativeLive workshop, I was happy to get in a great workout and this class actually made me think of something that I want to do.  When I get back to Winnipeg, I am going to try to attend a variety of different exercise studios, give them a go and then give them a review on my blog!  I have never done anything like this particular exercise, nor did I know it existed, now that I do, it is something I would definitely recommend to people if it is in their area.  If it isn't, that is okay as well!!  In addition to some aching muscles and stretched ligaments, I walked away with a cute tank top and magnet in a stellar bag with a variety of the exercises on the back of it, so you can give these a try.  But I think a group setting would make it A) more difficult and B) more fun!



So, yes, you can keep an eye on this blog for my lovely adventures in attempting new workouts/health oriented classes to benefit myself, but also you!  :D  I am looking forward to learning new things.
And this brings me to one last thing, tonight I probably gave myself every excuse NOT to go to that class.  I could just walk around Seattle Center and get my exercise, I don't have time, I'd rather hang out with Ryan, etc.  The reason why I tried NOT to go is because I had the feeling of fear in my gut.  You know the one I am talking about....its the feeling that makes you doubt every capability you have: I am too fat, I am too slow, I am not strong enough, I am not coordinated enough, I'll make a fool of myself, I don't know what I am doing.....these are literally the thoughts that I told myself ALL day today.  But then something funny happened at the creativeLive studio today.  Heather, the PA for the show asked for a volunteer to go on camera and show what we learned and without thinking I stuck up my hand before I realized I did it.  My dad always taught me to take every opportunity that is offered to you.  And so I did it...for the next 5 minutes, I had those same thoughts: What if I screw it up?  what if I am wrong?  What if people laugh at me?  What if I trip on the way?  etc. etc.  But I had already said I would do it, so I couldn't exactly back down.  So I did it.  It went fine.  I was fine.  And I felt better for it.  The second thing that happened at the studio, was that my tea talked to me and confirmed all those silly little fears my brain gave me:


Being the person to ignore those negative voices, is something that has always worked for me and I recognize the "fake" conscience talking me out of things as opposed to the one that tells me to get out of a dangerous situation.  Today I had the epiphany that should I experience that feeling, I should do the opposite of it because it is good for me.  I will learn more, achieve more, and do more....it is the feeling of LIVING!!  So, I urge all of you reading this to do something that you fear this month!  Then tell me about it!  Get over that hump and push yourself to do it!  You will not regret it, I promise you :D

To check out more about Pure Barre, head to their website!  If you are ever in a city that they have this is, go try it out, I swear you won't regret it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment