Thursday, January 30, 2014

Not Just for Volcanoes, My Friends

I have jumped onto the "No 'Poo" train and am thoroughly enjoying it!  No, this is not a fad in preventing pooping or a challenge in constipation, rather it is an effort to stop using shampoo and conditioner and instead, favor baking soda and vinegar.


When I first heard about this interesting little trick, all I picture was my head frothing over like the volcanoes we made in 6th grade.  To be honest, I was kind of excited to see if it would happen, but alas, there was no volcano explosion in my hair.  Instead, I now have some of the softest, manageable curls ever!  Seriously, I have only used the baking soda/vinegar concoctions twice and my hair is in a totally different state.  I actually enjoy wearing it down, I like brushing it, and I enjoy touching it.
I don't have to worry about the greasiness that I normally find with conditioners, or the dryness that I find with certain shampoos.  Every time I use a different type of shampoo and conditioner I am always uncertain as to how my crazy curls will respond and therefore I can be out tons of money.  So when it came to trying some random kitchen ingredients in my hair, I was incredibly happy to see the results!!
(See how excited I am??  I didn't think my eyes looked that crazy...but here they are and yes they do :P)

That being said there are a few things that take getting used to.  For example, smelling like a Greek salad after you get out of the shower and then continuing to smell like a large pickle thereafter.
  Until your hair dries, anyhow....then it just smells like....hair, I guess.  I have read that some people put essential oils into their concoctions, but I am not there yet...though if I had to choose, I would totally put in some rose oil :D  Maybe after a month. 
Secondly, my bathroom is looking more and more like my kitchen.  I currently have bottles of vinegar, baking soda, coconut oil, and almond oil, who knows what my next adventure will be!  I still use coconut oil 1 time a week to add in the extra moisture, especially because it is winter and this makes an incredible difference as well.  But seriously, considering how much hair I have, it has never felt so light!
 I think the coolest thing about going the "no poo" route is the fact that I have cut out another source of chemicals coming into my body!  Not going to lie, I do miss the smell of my Moroccan shampoo and conditioner, but hey, my hair is fab-o-lous.
If you want to find out more about the reasons behind baking soda and vinegar, check out this blog here.  It goes into detail:

http://lazygirlsguide2lookingood.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/do-you-poo/

But you can just google search or Pinterest search and you will come up with tons of options!

Anyhow, that is my go to trick of the week this week!  Give 'er a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment